Saturday, July 01, 2006...Constitution Summer.
From their website:
"Constitution Summer represents an emerging coalition of students and young people dedicated to defending the ideals of the Constitution and its Bill of Rights and to checking arbitrary abuses of power and authority, starting with a moderated, legitimate, mainstream, nonpartisan campaign to impeach President George W. Bush, Vice President Richard B. Cheney, and their administration.
"Constitution Summer's is basing its call for the impeachment of the President and Vice President on four key crimes:
1) illegal domestic spying in violation of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and the 4th Amendment;
2) misleading the country into a war of aggression in Iraq based on fraudulent claims;
3) indefinite detention, extraordinary rendition, and torture;
4) abuse of executive authority and subversion of the Constitution.
"It is the view of the members of Constitution Summer that each of these charges constitutes an impeachable offense, and that each has been substantiated to the extent that articles of impeachment can legitimately be brought.
"Constitution Summer is organizing youth and students, who constitute a powerful cultural catalyst, in order to bring this issue further into the mainstream by remaining true to the following:
1) ConstitutionSummer.org will function as a central organizing and publishing tool.
2) We will attach our message to culture through music, comedy, art, and theater.
3) We will remind elected officials of their oath to uphold the Constitution through media, educational events, demonstrations, and public events.
4) Remembering that all politics is local, we will put pressure on local elected officials to represent our voice through the generation of local resolutions and referenda.
5) We will make sure that our elected officials know that we want to be safe and free, and that we will not advance freedom abroad by abandoning it at home.
6) We will remain nonpartisan, issue specific, and true to our purpose and ideals.
"Constitution Summer originated at UC Berkeley, Yale Law School, Stanford Law School, Columbia Law School, Georgetown Law School, Boalt Law School, George Washington University Law School, UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, the University of Michigan, and the University of Maryland, and it continues to grow."